About Negheriting Shiva Temple
A Shiva temple named Negheriting Shiva temple is situated on a hillock in Dergaon, which is about one and half km north from the National Highway 36 in the Golaghat district of Assam, and it was first constructed by the Kacharis during 8th – 9th century AD. Later due to natural calamities it came into destruction. In 1687 it was re-constructed by Ahom king Swargadeo Rajeswar Singha. Ghanashyam Khonikar the famous architect was assigned to the job.
The stones that are used to construct the temple were existed in the bank of river Dihing. Due to natural calamities the temple was destroyed and the remains were in deep forest called Gajapanemara. When Ahom king Susenpha knew about the ruined temple and the Shiva linga again he built the temple right on that foundation and established the linga.
After that, when the Dihing River changed the flow, again the temple was destroyed and merged into the river water. A devotee of lord Shiva found the place known as Sheetal Negheri that was the ruined temple and the linga in the shallow water of river Dihing. The linga was brought by Ahom king Rajeswar Singha from the river and reconstructed the present temple and the linga was established in it.
The place where the temple is located was once a bird locally known as Negheri and the place has come to be known as Negheriting. The monkeys are one of the attractions of the temple. The temple is the house of the rhesus monkeys where a sizeable population of this species is there.