About Nalbari District of Assam
Nalbari districtis a sub division of old Kamrup district and is situated in between Barpeta and Kamrup district. The district is surrounded by the Indo-Bhutan International boundary on the northern side, the by the mighty Brahmaputra on the southern side, Darrang and the Kamrup District in the east and the Barpeta District in the west. The district covers an area of 999.90 sq.km. The whole area of the District is situated at the plains of the Brahmaputra Valley. The tributaries of the Brahmaputra, Nona, Buradia, Pagaldia, Borolia and Tihu flows over this district and have enormous contribution towards the agrarian economy of the place.
Economy of the Nalbari District of Assam
The economy of the Nalbari District of Assam is mainly agrarian in nature. Almost half of the population is engaged in agriculture. There are three tea gardens in the district. The district is known for its academic excellence. Every year it comes in a top position in 10 th exam. The literacy rate is around 68. 8 percent in this district.
Places of interest in Nalbari District of Assam
Ganga Pukhuri in Sonkuriha: This pond is situated in Vill Barkuriha which is about seven kilometers south of Nalbari town. It is believed that this pond was dug by a Brahmin named Gangadhar. Every year during ashok Astami, a mela is held near this pond and visitors come to pay homage to their ancestors.
Mahmara Pukhuri in Chandkuchi: This pond was dug by Ahom King to remove the water scarcity problem of the area and it was constructed with the sacrifice of a buffalo. Thus it is known as Mahmara Pukhuri.
Fenguwa Rampart(Fenguwar Ghar): It was built by a king named Fenguwa in 1350-1365 there was a king named Fenguwa. He built this rampart which was 3.2 km long and 3-2 broad to preserve his kingdom and for his own safety.
Angradhowa Pukhuri: This pond was built by king Fengua. It is believes that in this pond his Queens ornaments were washed with charcoal and hence the pond was named as Angradhowa Pukhuri.
Sonkuriha: This place is famous for migratory bird. It is a major tourist spot in Nalbari and people visited this place during winter season to see the migratory birds.
Hari Mandir: This temple was built in 1965 on land donated by Rambahadur Pratap Narayan Choudhury. The temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna. The temple is famous for the Ras festival celebrated during the month of November every year. Thousands of visitors from across the state visit this temple during this festival.
Jain Temple: This Jain temple is situated at Nalbari Town. It shows the perfect example of the unity of different religion of the place.
Billeswar Temple: It is one of the famous temple of assam which is nearly 500 years The temple is dedicated Lord Shiva. The local people of the place says that one cow gave milk on a bush of Virina' in this place and when the king of the place came to know about that he asked his men to dug the place and found a Shiva Linga there. After that a temple was built and named as Billeswar and now this temple is known as Belsor Devalaya. Durga puja is also celebrated in this temple.
Bagheswari Dewbahar Guri Temple: The temple is situated at Adabari near Mukalmua P/S. The temple is dedicated to Goddess Durga. It is known to the power full temple and hence visited by many devotees, especially during Durga puja.
Buddhist Temple: It is located at 30 Kms away from Nalbari and was established almost 60 years ago by Nepali people. Buddha Jayanti festival is celebrated in this temple every year.
More articles: Nalbari District