Information Technology Policy of Assam 2009
At the time when Information Technology(IT) occupies a key position in our modern era and is one of the fastest growing sectors in the global economy, the State of Assam has come up with a new Information Technology Policy, 2009. The Govt. of Assam has recognized IT and has formulated the IT Policy. The state desires to become a leading destination for investment in Information and Communication Technology(ICT) industry and to become a major partner in the Information Economy.
As per the Government of Assam Notification No: IT.91/2004/384 dated 4th August,2009, the new IT Policy come into force. This policy document replaces the earlier notification of the Govt. of Assam issued vide Notification No. MI.102/99/115/ dated 17th June 2000.
Objectives of the Policy
1. To accord primacy for the growth of ICT industry in Assam.
2. To address and alleviate poverty issues through IT and create a Mission for it.
3. To accelerate the use of IT in the Government at all possible levels with a view to bringing efficiency, transparency, accountability and increased productivity.
4. To take up time bound training programs in computer skill development and capacity building of the Government servants.
5. To improve delivery of the Government services to the citizens of the State.
6. To design systems and programs to enhance employability of the educated unemployed youth in the State in the ICT sector.
7. To enable the State to reach an eminent position in the IT sector.
8. To encourage the spread of IT in the private sector in the State.
9. To encourage and accelerate the growth of the domestic and the export oriented IT units in the State and make the State an attractive destination for major IT players within and outside India.
10. To encourage and accelerate the use of IT in schools, colleges and educational institutions in the State and enable the youth to acquire necessary skills and knowledge in this sector, thus making them highly employable.
11. To put in place programs and schemes aimed at women's participation in IT sector both in terms of employment and entrepreneurship.
12. To develop programs and training modules for the differently abled and challenged segments of the society and provide opportunities for them for employment in IT and ITeS industry and towards this end, create incentives for those who train and employ such segments of the society.
13. To encourage use of local language in the applications and promote use of bilingual formats in all applications; and take up programs and initiatives for development of technologies and softwares in local languages; and towards this end, create incentives for those who undertake development of technologies concerning local languages.
14. To set-up ICT colleges and specialized training institutes in private sector and joint sector in order to prepare skilled manpower from within Assam.
15. To organize Manpower Development Program(MDP) in the field of Computer Applications for the successful implementation of the IT Policy of Assam.
16. To promote initiatives in the field of Tele-Medicine and related areas, E-Tourism, E-Commerce, E-Education etc.
17. To take such steps as may be necessary for promoting IT and ITeS industries in order to generate gainful employment to the people of Assam and provide them better quality of life.
18. To promote and set up critical ICT infrastructure such as communication networks, IT Parks, BPO and Knowledge Cities and peripheral services through Government and Private Partnerships.
19. To commission such studies and surveys through reputed National/International consulting firms for gaining insights into the investment and employment possibilities in Assam in the fields of IT and ITeS and thereupon initiate all required steps.
20. To appoint consulting firms/institutes/reputed individuals to aid and advise the Government on IT, ICT and ITeS matters.
21. To build the capacities of the Assam Electronics Development Corporation Ltd. (AMTRON), the State IT Nodal Agency to enable it to partner meaningfully with the State Government to achieve the objectives of this Policy.
Strategies for Enabling the Policy
1. Government to Government (G2G) Strategies
2. Government to Business (G2B) Strategies
3. Government to Citizen (G2C) Strategies
4. ICT Interventions in Education Sector
5. National e-Governance Plan (NeGP)
6. Strengthening of Government Institutions
7. IT Infrastructure Development and Growth Strategies
8. Security Policy
9. Implementation of the ITAct, 2000
10. GIS and Mapping Policy
11. Data Mining and Data Warehousing Policy
12. Free and Open Source Software Policy
13. Anti Piracy Policy
14. Investment Promotion Policy
Implementation and Monitoring of the Policy
The Assam Electronics Development Corporation Ltd. (AMTRON) is appointed as Nodal Agency for implementation of the IT Policy.
More articles: Assam Education
No responses found. Be the first to comment...